Friday 12 November 2010

Joey Barton accepts 3-match ban

Joey Barton has received a three match ban following an incident with Blackburn's Morten Gamst Pedersen during Newcastle's 2-1 defeat at St James Park on Wednesday night, the referee didn't the incident during the game and Barton went unpunished, but following video evidence the Newcastle man is clearly seen punching the Norwegian in the chest.

The Football Association reviewed the video evidence and has therefore issued a three match ban to midfielder, Barton will now miss the following games against Fulham, Bolton & Chelsea. The 28 year old has decided not to appeal against the decision, he has accepted the charge from the FA and has issued an apology.

"I fully accept that I was in the wrong on this occasion and accept the charge that the FA have brought against me," said Barton.

"I would like to apologise to Chris Hughton, my team-mates, our supporters and of course to Morten Gamst Pedersen and Blackburn Rovers.

"This season, I have really been enjoying my football and although I have been on the receiving end of a few robust challenges, I have, up until now, remained calm in the face of provocation and just carried on with the game.

"But I hold my hands up, I reacted badly to the situation on Wednesday night and I deeply regret it.

"I have been working very hard to keep that side of my game under control and I think it has showed in the way I have been able to get on and enjoy my football this season.

"I look forward to trying to get back into the team once my suspension is over and helping the club maintain its good start to the season."

Newcastle Manager Chris Hughton added, "We accept the action taken by the FA, and it is of course disappointing to lose Joey for three games," said the manager.

"He has worked so hard on his game this season, but he knows that he can't react the way he did on Wednesday."

Joey Barton punches Morton Gamst Pedersen:



Best Blogger Tips
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post
  • Share On Reddit
  • Bookmark On Technorati

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...