Wednesday 17 November 2010

Carlos Moya announces retirement

Carlos Moya
Former world tennis number one Carlos Moya has announced at a news conference in Madrid that he will retire from the game due to a long standing foot injury which he has failed to recover from and the 34-year-old Spaniard, whose career highlight was his 1998 French Open success, will play in one more event in Seville next month before quitting the game.

Carlos Moya is only one of four players to have won over 500 matches at ATP level.

He announced: "I wanted to say goodbye at one of the big tournaments, the grand slams, but that dream wasn't to be.

"I am still young for life but for sport I am already knocking on a bit. Thanks to everyone for all these years. We'll see each other soon, I don't know where but I hope it's soon."

Moya last played on the ATP Tour at the Madrid Masters in May, which he lost to German Benjamin Becker in the first round. He ends his career with an ATP World Tour and grand slam record of 575 wins and 319 defeats.

"Thanks to everyone for all these years," he said. "We'll see each other soon, I don't know where but I hope it's soon." Best Blogger Tips
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post
  • Share On Reddit
  • Bookmark On Technorati

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...