Friday 12 November 2010

Andy Carroll set for England call-up

Newcastle striker Andy Carroll is set to receive a call-up to the England squad to face France, Carroll who was left out of U21 squad for the game against Germany on Tuesday has been on form this season, scoring a hat-trick on the opening day and then going on to score eleven times including the winner against Arsenal last week in front of the England manager.

Arsene Wenger has praised the improvement of the Newcastle striker, he said, “Personally, I have been highly impressed by him. He has presence, charisma, confidence,” said the Arsenal manager.

“He is intelligent on the ball. I had doubts about him when I saw him one year ago but in the last year he has improved tremendously.

"He has to show it over a longer distance but I'm convinced Capello will have a look at him. I believe he will be good enough to play for England.”

And what does the Frenchman put this improvement down to?

“Attitude, and by that I mean motivation, and intelligence are the two main things I see personally. When you are not highly motivated and not very intelligent your potential to improve is very limited.”

While former manager Glenn Roeder has said that Fabio needs to think twice before selecting Carroll, the former Magpies manager suggests that Carroll is not playing to his full potential due to his off the field problems with charges of assault brought against the striker from an ex-girlfriend and that he doesn't set a good example to this kids. Roeder insists that the striker needs to change his lifestyle in order to get to the top of his game.

He added on BBC Radio 5 live, I'd select him but I'm not saying he should play. I'm not certain he's sending out great signals to young players,"

"If he is picked the signals for me would be 'I can do what I want it doesn't matter, as long as I play well I've got a chance to play for England'. The standards should be much higher than that.

"He's a great lad around the training ground, coaches love working with him, but by living the way he is he's not fulfilling the potential that he could possibly fulfil by having just a bit of a quieter life."

Newcastle team-mate Joey Barton has suggested that is more than worthy of a place in the England squad, and has has urged Capello to judge Carroll on his form,

He added, "Hopefully they will stop worrying about Goody Two Shoes image which the sponsors want for England.

"They need to start picking players to win matches. The frustrating thing for me is that England pick the good guys for the World Cup because they won't cause any problems, but every other national team picks the players who are simply the best in their position.

"I'm not telling Fabio Capello how to do his job, but for me it is a no-brainer to have Andy Carroll in his squad because he has everything to be the archetypal English centre-forward."


Best Blogger Tips
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post
  • Share On Reddit
  • Bookmark On Technorati

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...