"Every footballer has to think about it when the time comes. It is still early but I definitely would consider it," said Johnson when asked whether he would quit City.

Johnson wasn't happy with being on the bench for the recent Manchester derby, saying: "It is disappointing when you are not playing from the start in games like that.

"I was itching to get on. I was dying to play from the start not just come on.

"The manager has to make decisions but I was gutted to be left out.

"With the players we have it will be a rotation but I am full of confidence and I just want to be playing.

"I have got to train and get on with it, nothing is going to change. I have to keep the right frame of mind and get in the team because I want to play for the national team as well.

"I like attacking, scoring goals and creating goals and pleasing the fans. When I play I just want to excite fans and give them something to watch."